I enjoy a variety of extra-curricular hobbies and activities.
Modern cars and motorcycles are an engineering and technology showcase, and I appreciate this perhaps equally to the thrill of the driving experience. Some day I may even buy one that fits this description. My daily driver is a 2007 KTM 990 Super Duke R, with a 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 v-twin cruiser as backup. Generally speaking I perform all the maintenance and repairs required by my vehicles.
A black 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV AWD fits the bill for inclement weather or large-payload operations.
Previous vehicles have included:
- 2006 Ford Police Interceptor, silver birch metallic, purchased July 2010, sold November 2013
- 1988 Honda Hawk-GT (NT650), blue, purchased June 2006, sold June 2011
- 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, deep amethyst, purchased summer 2001, sold Summer 2010
- 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R, red, purchased fall 2007, sold summer 2009
- 1989 Ford Police Interceptor, white, purchased spring 2000, sold summer 2001
- 1984 Plymouth Reliant station wagon, gold, inherited from my grandmother fall 1998, donated spring 2000.
Top Gear The Grand Tour is the only current TV show worth watching.
I enjoy landscape photography, particularly in uniquely lit settings. I often shoot multiple exposures of the same shot and apply HDR processing later to bring out the full impact of the scene.
Thus far I have been unable to find a single ideal online photo sharing service, so I have collections across a number of them.
I find that fine woodworking is therapeutic, and an excellent way to get away from computers and other electronic devices for a while. Projects have ranged from turning pens and wine stoppers, to installing hardwood floors and window casings.
- From 2001–2009 I served on the Northeastern Woodworkers Association board of directors, and on the publications committee as webmaster.
- For several years (the dates escape me now) in high-school and college I was an assistant teacher of woodworking classes for the youth, held in a back room of the local Sears store.
Radio Controlled Vehicles
... are great fun. Will add some more to this section when I have time.